Working out regularly and maintaining a nutritious diet is an evolving trend currently, so as to cope with the increasing threats of health hazards. However, accomplishing the idyll target is not a piece of cake. There are lot of questions which must be answered before choosing an exercise regime or opting for a particular diet chart.Are you overweight or underweight? Are you suffering from obesity? Do you have high blood pressure or low blood pressure? And… the list goes on! To address these pivotal health concerns, there are 2 significant checkpoints which determine whether you are overweight or underweight or are suffering from obesity. Calculate BMIand check the waist circumference to determine your present health condition and potential risk from diseases.
Source: Vertex 42
BMI or Body Mass Index Standard
The Body Mass Index (BMI) of an adult determines the current health status. This refers to the present weight of an individual divided by the height. While a high level of BMI indicates more body fat, a lower level of BMI indicates less body mass or fat. Calculate BMI using the BMI tools available online. Keep your weight and height in mind before using the BMI calculator. The standard BMI chart states that
- One is underweight if the BMI is lesser than 18.5.
- One is overweight if the BMI level lies within 25 and 29.9.
- One is completely considered healthy and right weight if the BMI is within 18.5 and 24.9.
Source: Every day health
- One is considered obese if the body mass is 30 or higher than this level.
This is another way to get a hint about your health. If the abdominal fat is more it can lead to chronic health issues. Type 2 diabetes, coronary artery and high blood pressure are some of the diseases which can be caused by wide waist circumference. The standard waist circumference chart states
- If the waist is more than 40 inches for a man then it is a sign of obesity.
- If the waist size is more than 35 inches for a woman then it is a sign of obesity. Pregnant women will have a larger waist size.
Tips to get proper BMI level
Height and weight plays an important role to calculate BMI. Usually height is measured in metres and weight in kilograms. For calculating BMI you have to get the weight in pounds and height in inches. Now you need not visit a clinic to get these measurements, buy a tape and scale for easy measurement.
Tips to measure waist circumference
Waist circumference is another checkpoint of body weight and obesity. Follow the below steps to measure the waist circumference properly.
- Stand erect and place the measurement tape around the waist, right above the hip bones.
- Keep the tape in a horizontal position.
- Do not compress the skin while wrapping the measurement tape.
- Breathe out before measuring the waist circumference.
BMI and waist circumference measurement through general calculator offers right measurement for obesity, high and low levels ofweight only for adults. For pregnant women, kids and teenagers there is a separate BMI calculator available online or at the clinics.
Always remember, you should calculate BMIonly as a screening tool to determine the weight. For proper diagnostics and assessment you should visit a doctor.
Calculate BMI from the comfort of your home to always stay updated about your health condition. The diet chart and exercise regime should be framed only after determining the BMI and waist circumference. Find out if you are healthy, underweight, overweight or obese!